Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone call via sound card and modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grolsch

Technical User
May 12, 2003
IE
Hi

I have a Creative SB Live! value sound card & a Conexant HSF V.92 Data Fax PCI modem, I'm running Windows XP Pro. Is there any way I can use these devices to make calls using a headset?
I can dial out from the PC and make calls using the regular telephone handset, but I want to be able to use the headset, do I need to get another (voice capable) modem or is there a way of making it work through the sound card?

Thanks in advance

Grolsch

You need to get a voice capable modem. And it must be full-duplex voice, which is usually touted as a "speakerphone" modem. If the modem claims to be voice capable, but does not claim to be a speakerphone, then it is generally half-duplex. Half-duplex is good for an answering machine, but won't cut it for a voice call.

Most of the speakerphone modems will come with a speakerphone application, but if you follow some of the posts here, I think that you will find that they are not all necessarily very functional.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back