Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHNMDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie001

MIS
Sep 30, 2004
US
Nortel Option 11c w/ MMail

I'm running through the report of all programmed TNB.
I see several entries for PHNMDM. I'm pretty sure this is for a phantom modem but why would this be programmed? What would it be used for?

where is it forwarded to, that should answer your question

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

when in doubt, all the number and trace it

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Your seeing that in the "DES" prompt. The DES is a free form 6-charecter field the tech or the end users dreams up. Some users populate it with a jack numbers, others type in helpful text like "phone". PHNMDM was probably someones idea to proclaim that 1) it is a phone line, and 2)it is for a modem.

I used to chuckle when one of my folks included the word "phone" in the CPND, like "Conference Room Phone" or "Lobby Phone" or "Mail Room Phone". Whoda known it was a phone without that? :)

"Phantom" refers to an extension that has no physical hardware - anywhere - no card - no punch downs - no dial tone...it is just a way to divert a number to another number without using up physical card space.

~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back