Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceZ

Technical User
Jun 20, 2007
US
We just received new laptop with Vista Home Premium. It also had Norton
Internet Security 2007 installed.
Now get two pop-ups. The one from NIS reads:
Norton Internet Security is not currently your default phishing filter.
Would you like to make it your default phishing filter?
YES NO (Don't ask me again.)
=======
I've also received a pop-up from MS IE7 stating something to the effect:

"Turn ON automatic Phishing Filter
Turn OFF automatic Phishing Filter"

I just close (X) the box.

Which one should I choose? The MS or NIS filter to click "YES" to?

Does anyone know?

I would choose both. Since Phishing sites are becoming more and more tricky, I don't see how turning both of them on will do any harm. Of course, I don't even use Internet Explorer. I prefer Mozilla Firefox. :)

Thanks.
I thought, because NIS stated: "Would you like to make it your default phishing filter?" that it would be the only one allowed.

nortons phishing filter turned on caused my yahoo attachment of my OWN email sent to myself from my old computer to not download. The yahoo virus scan on the attachment hung. sO i turned off the phishing filter of Nortons after I already had it turned on.
That was the desktop. With the filter off, all is well and norton has no exclamation point for "fix it now"

But on the laptop I did not answer the yes box as
Alice mentioned above, but it still gave me a damn toolbar of Norton on the IE page at the top, plus it stillturned phishing on.

On the laptop however when I went to go to Nortons protection center to turn off phishing filter, I did successfully, but now the "fix it now" has an exclamation point thru it.

I do not want to use Nortons phishing filter and I also want the fix it now button to not turn on because I would miss true "fix it now" situations, and would have to visit the protection center every damn time I booted the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back