Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phatoshop 5.0 "include transfer function" option problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

burya

Programmer
Oct 26, 2003
IL
Thank to all for help with my previous problem.
On this occasion my problem more applicative than postscript.

I have client's Monotone EPS file built in Photoshop 5.0 and saved with "include transfer function" option on. After RIP image will be printed as negative. If I would save this file without "include transfer function" result will be positive (means all to spot mode). Considerable difference between 2 these files is in DeviceN LUT (means /PhotoshopDuotoneList [...] 255 <>): in first case it <FF..00>; in second opposite <00..FF>. Binary data are same.

It means that my application works according to file's data,
but I cannot to return to client because a cannot explain what is happened.

My problem: I cannot to simulate this situation on other files. It means I can simulate RIP result of original file, but I cannot build any file with similiar behavior, using "include transfer function" option will add to file the transfer function description code but not change DeviceN LUT.

I have not Photoshop 5.0, I've tried to use 5.5 and later versions.

My question is how to simulate similiar behavior?
Thank you in advance

Michael

I admit I don't understand your question, but will attempt an explanation. Transfer functions are used to adjust output levels to a specific device. Make reds "more" red, grays "less" gray, etc.

I have no idea why any application that produces an EPS would have any reason to produce a transfer function, but many do.

(I say this because an EPS is supposed to be a placeable image, and as such should not include any device-specific code, including transfer functions.)

DeviceN is a colorspace. Transfer functions are applied after the device has done any color conversions.

Special effects, such as reversing colors (making negatives) can be achieved by writing a transfer function that inverts the number: {1 exch sub} on a monochrome device.

Was any of this helpful?

Thomas D. Greer
Providing PostScript & PDF
Training, Development & Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back