Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 850 wants to warm up after every print 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyfp3

Technical User
May 13, 2001
MX
Have an 850 that just started giving me trouble. After printing a page either from the front panel or from a program the printer then goes into a "Warming Up" mode and ultimates duplicates the same page.

From researching past threads I would like to explore replacing the halogen bults that they keep talking about. I've looked closely on the right side for the "orange glow" in order to pin down their location, even turned all the lights off, but I still am having trouble locating them. Can someone help me locate them with a little better description and then if possible give me a guideline as to the items I would have to dissasemble in order to replace them?

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

Here's a description of how to change the bulbs, which is not a difficult job. We have a Phaser 860 which is virtually identical to your 850, but it's possible that there are some minor differences.

-Remove the right and left covers (two screws each, one in front behind the access door, and one in back). You may need to pry up the tops of the covers to get them off.

-Remove the maintenance drawer and then the maintenance drawer guides on either side. They are held in front with one screw each on the 860, and in the rear by fingers inserted into slots on the frame. If you can't get the guide on the right side out easily, turn the x-axis gear to move the printhead toward its center position. When reassembling, make sure the fingers are engaged properly or you can run into more problems such as not being able to get the drawer out!

-Remove the shiny plate in front (duplex paper guide) which is held in with two screws on top and tabs on the bottom.

-Remove the upper feed roller assembly. It's actually located about half the way up the front of the printer and has a circuit board with sensors mounted on it. First, you'll have to remove the clutch/gear/belt mounted on the end of its shaft, then the E-ring(s) which retain the bearing(s) to the frame. Unplug the wire connector coming from the assembly to the connector mounted on the left side frame. On the 860, the assembly comes apart into two halves and it's not that hard to damage the sensor flags if some care isn't taken. If they are damaged, epoxing them back together will work fine. When reassembling, make sure the bearings are well seated into the frame.

-You'll now have access to the heater assembly which contains the bulbs. Remove the wire connector that plugs into the heater on the right side. On the 860, four screws are visible from the front. Remove the silvery ones, not the bronze colored ones (they hold the heater together). Warning: if you do take the heater apart, it can be a bit of a pain to put it back together. It shouldn't be necessary in order to replace the bulbs. You should be able to find new ones at a local hardware store.

I don't know if the bulbs are the cause of your problem, I haven't encountered this particular one and I don't have the service manual with me. But you've done the research and if you do decide to replace them, I hope the above helps.

Jal256 I really do thank you for your response.

The wife tells me I have to give her a little more attention right now so I will follow your directions just as soon as possible and be assured I will let you know how it all comes out.

JAL256 thanks for your instructions. They were right on and I could not have replaced the bulbs without your help.

However replacing them did not solve my problem. I'll repost with a more accurate description.

Since there has been so many post regarding replacing the lamps everyone should use this post for instructions on how to do it.

Thansk,

Tom

Thanks for the remarks Tom, but I'm sorry you didn't get any satisfaction after doing all of that.

I hope I don't cause you any more wasted effort, but I'll throw this out as a possibility: perhaps the drum temperature sensor is dirty or not functioning correctly. On April 29, 2004 Marty5261 posted a way of cleaning it by running a cloth with alcohol underneath it (See "Phaser 860 keeps rebooting").

But perhaps you should get into diagnostics mode first and use the monitor temps function to see if you can pin it down. He also indicates how to get into this mode (setting dip switch #1 on the back of the printer before rebooting). On the 860, with the printer already on, you can get into the diagnostics by simultaneously pressing the "cancel" and "OK" buttons on the front control panel. I've forgotten the exact steps for navigating to this function but it's under the "monitor" (surprise!) heading.

If you decide to try to clean the temp sensor, I can give you some info as to how to get to it, but I hope that someone that has actually done it might chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back