Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 850 Hard Drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

livewire

Vendor
Sep 21, 2000
US
We just paid $589 on a 6GB replacement hard drive for a Phaser 850DP. The drive is an IBM same as used in notebook computers, the difference being Xerox puts their software on the drive at the factory or wherever. My question is has anybody ever copied one of these drives to a blank drive? and if so, how? The cost of these HD's is outrageous by comparison to what it actually is, a $100 notebook computer drive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.....

Xerox had given me some incorrect info regarding the HD. All that needs to be done is to format and initialize a drive if it's a replacement and we already have the circuit board it attaches to. So looking on Xerox web site I see no info on how to do this, I downloaded the HD.exe that is used to format and initialize but it's not an executeable file or program. Does anybody know how to format and initialize an HD in a Phaser 850?

Is there a good source for the hard drive circuit board/carrier - new or used? They are a bit spendy at retail for me to buy for our foundation and for my church - but it would be nice to cobble one together.

Dean

I'm still looking for a way to format and initialize a Phaser 850 HD....I know there's a way.....does anybody know?

Try to open that file with a text editor. If you see text, it's probably a PostScript file; try to "print" it directly to the printer, and it will format the hard drive.

Thanks pukkita that's great, I will give it a try.

I finally got around to formatting the HD in this printer. What I did was attached a parallel cable to the PC and the printer and did a DOS copy to the LPT1 port. C:\copy format.ps lpt1 after this I copied the init.ps. printed a startup page and the hard drive was initialized and ready.

Got exactly the same problem and Xerox are being useless. Does anyone have a copy of the hd.exe that they could send to me ?

Thanks

Yes I have that file. Let me know what your e-mail address is and I can send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back