Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 850 freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantis7

Technical User
Jan 11, 2010
CH
My Tektronix Phaser 850 keeps freezing lately when I have a bunch of documents to print (long queue). I don't know if this is the reason or if it just happens then because it's under heavy load.

The printer would then make some rattling sound for a few seconds and after that it's just frozen, doesn't accept any input from the panel and stops printing.

As a complete restart wastes an awful lot of ink each time (and I've not found anything else than turning it off and on to resolve the lockup) I'm obviously interested in resolving the problem.

Does anybody know what the reason is for such a failure?

Regards

Martin

Is there any paper jam? Could be the solonoid flapper behind the right I/O PCB. Put tape on it.
Check the drum maintenence roller, if dry, it is expired, replace.
Look at the black process roller under the top cover door.
May be something stuck. The pre-heater may be goin bad, check the lamps in the heater.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Not sure what's causing you to lock up but I'm with you on the the fact that cleaning cycles are wasteful. Here are a couple of things to try.

Wake the printer up if it is in Standby Mode and let it warm up to READY or until you get an error.

Reset the printer from the hidden Troubleshooting menu (navigate to Troubleshooting menu, press and hold left arrow then press select). Don't Select "Reset NVRAM" as I think that resets settings and all. "Reset Printer" is two choices further down the list.

Also if you power off while warm for a few seconds it does not always do a cleaning cycle when you restart it. I would select "Standard Shut Down" from menu that comes up when you turn off the power switch or just wait for it to go off.
Give it a few seconds and power the switch back on

I could be wrong about the printer having to be warm to avoid cleaning cycles with the above procedures, but I too hate to waste ink so I always wait for the printer to warm up before initiating any type of reset.

Just a thought but if only large print jobs are locking you up could you have a bad hard drive if attached?
Remove your memory modules and clean the copper contact points then re-seat your memory. Make sure the full amount you have plugged in is showing up on the configuration page you can print from the menu or from the Phaserlink Reports Menu.

If you get it solved report back so others might benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back