Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 840 on a Battery Backup? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarettJohnson

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2003
US
I've heard that when an 840 gets turned off it uses a lot of ink. How much ink does it use? The question I'm wondering is if we put the printer on a battery back up, how many power outtages would it take to pay for a backup unit? Does anyone know about how much a a stick of ink it uses? I see a lot of ink in the waste tray after I turn it off, but how much does that equal in dollars and cents if you had to make a guess?

A guess, based on own experience: 20-30 dollars. Yes, that's a lot, and this is one of this printer's worst sides. Which Xerox didn't inform me before buying.
I never turn the printer off, but have also been thinking backing the printer up with an UPS. Two issues:
1) How much power does the printer draw at startup point? I don't know that myself - it could be a lot. If the UPS is not powerful enough, the printer won't start when connecting the UPS.
2) Usually, an UPS will be able to keep the printer running in standby mode for only 10-30 minutes - if you don't use a VERY powerful - and expensive - UPS.

Per

As far as needing enough power to start the printer once its on battery power, I don't think that would be a priority. All I would want the backup to do it keep the unit warmed up. Nobody would be printing on it either, while on battery backup.

So the question is how much of a battery does it need? I was thinking to only have enough to keep it running for 5-10 min. You think that would take say 100$ APC unit?

I was thinking of the APC Back-UPS CS 500:
13.9 minutes (150 Watts)
2.4 minutes (300 Watts)
Output power capacity 500 VA
Output power capacity 300 Watts

I guess it depends on what type of load the thing is going to be pulling. Any idea on how much juice it uses at idle?

As far as for the ink, when you start up a Phaser 840/b50/860/8200 it uses about 1/8 of a block of ink (times 4 for the four colors)

printer use at start op easely up to 1000VA to keep it running it varietes on the use of the printer:
meaning; lot of print work lot of heating needed up to 350 to 400VA
smal printing use he just needs to guard is temperature and uses around 150 to 200 VA.
Placing it on an ups is not a good idea why; every 7 day the printer does a cleaning cycle this is done when the printer is idle and to ensure thad the inkjets funtions are in optimal condition. A cleaning is the same as a power up concerning the use of ink. When you are using a phaser 840 and above the have an intelligent ready mode. meaning; basicly it is something like energy star mode but whit this differende thad energy star almost the same as turning of the printer, intelligent ready is turning of the printer but the fan of powersupply stays running and the printhead stays on it temperature. al other heaters are cut of. powerconsumption arround 75 to 100 VA.
when you need your printer it takes aboud 2 min to warm all other up. i hope thad this is an answer to your question

I have an 860 and have just last week put it on an APC 1400 SmartUPS. When the printer powers up the usage lights on the UPS almost max out but in run mode it is about middle to 3/4 scale. When it is in "Standby" mode there is almost no indication on the usage scale for the UPS.

We have had a rash of little power blips in the past couple of months and each time the printer reset to a power up mode and dumped ink. It makes me mad everytime this happens thus the UPS. We didn't have to buy a new UPS for this, we had a extra hanging around.

I don't know if this would work on a smaller UPS because some UPS's shutdown when the load exceeds their rated capacity and that would certainly happen to a printer being used or initially powering up on a smaller UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back