Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 840 Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS16

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2005
US
My Phaser 840 is jamming right before it goes around the drum if anyone has any ideas please let me know

Thanks,
AJ

On this particular printer there are a few items in question that cause Jamming. One is the Transfix Solenoid which is on the Right Side Top, across from where the control panel is located. There is a metal plate that some cables are routed through. If you unroute these cables and take of the plate, the solenoid is located on the back of this plate. There is a little rubber pad that is there to keep the solenoid from making excessive noise when it fires. Unfortunatly, this pad gets sticky over time. Causing the armature to stick to the pad and not return in time to stop the transfix roller in it's home position. You can resolve this by putting a piece of tape over the pad.

The other issue I've seen with this time of jamming is goinf to be the drum maint clutch. It's on the lower left side. Near the fromt of the printer. There are actually two clutches you will see. The first one, with the Larger gear is the paper pick clutch. The one with the smaller gear is the Drum Maint Clutch. I've seen these clutches fail and cause jamming. Also, I've seen the Paper Pick Clutch cause the jamming. On the shaft that the Paper Pick Clutch is on, there is a flat edge. This is to facilitate the movement of the shaft when the clutch activates. In a "Ready to Print" condition, this flat edge should be up. If it's not, then your pickup roller is out of position, and when it attempts to feed paper, it will make it's rotation, and the roller will again make contact with page, causing it to slow down, and give you this jam. I currently have a 840 in the shop that has the Pick Clutch issue. The paper goes up the front of the printer, and around the Maint Tray, and starts into the Preheat Assy, then stops. Now, if I use the MPT Tray, the printer functions normally.

Timothy N. Couch
A1 Printech
Anchorage, AK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back