Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 8200 never stops warming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReinhardHofmann

Technical User
Feb 20, 2005
DE
During warming up, the printer counts from 1% to 99%. Then it displays the warming up message without any %. Up to that the procedure is OK. But then it never gets warmed up. The message is shown for hours. Sometimes it automatically reboots itself.
I turned the printer into the diagnosic mode an found out that the temperature of the drum never reaches the required 64 degrees. It only reaches about 55 degrees. Then I looked at the power of the heaters. The drum heater is changing the power very fast between 100 and about 200W.
I looked at the error codes and I got a 15,004.45 which means that the drum does not heat as fast as it should.
I browsed in this forum and found out that the reason could be the preheater bulbs of the drum. How can I verify that they are the reason?
Are there other posibilities that could cause this problem?
What about the automatic reboot that sometimes occour during warm up? Sometimes I get a reboot when the warming up message without the % is displayed. And one time, the printer was turned off for two days, I got a reboot durch counting the %.

Thank you very much for any hint.

15,004.45 is either the bulbs in the preheater or the drum temp sensor. When you turn your printer on look into the vent on the side. You should see a pulsing bright light. Even if you see this light one of the two blubs might be out. I would remove the preheater and check the blubs.

I have cleaned the drum temp sensor. That was not the problem. But I cannot see any light when I look into the vent. This really looks like that the bulbs are defect. Yesterday after two hours of warming up the drum had a temperature of nearly 60 degrees. So I think that the drum is heated by the bulbs but not good enough. Could the reason of the fast changing in the power of the drum heater be the pulsing of the bulbs?

Thanks a lot.

It is trying to pulse the blubs but if the bulbs are blown it will not heat the drum. Take the drum thermal preheater out and look at the blubs. You can replace them.

I have just taken delivery of a phaser 8200 and have the same problem as never warms up but would like to know how to get at the drum heater to replace bulbs also how to get in diagnostics
I retired from xerox in 1986 and was servicing xerographic products so I may be useful on products around this era
Cheers Bernard 150

Thank you all,

I replaced the bulbs two days ago and the printer works perfect again. But it was pretty difficult to get some replacement bulbs.

Thanks,

Reinhard

Hello

It seems that we are having the same problem here with a one and a half year old phaser 8200.
I would be very thankful if the person who did replace the bulbs could tell us about the part numbers to be ordered ... I downloaded the Xerox part list but nothing shows as "bulbs"... I've got parts like a pre-heater and heat drums.
Also an interesting info would be to know where did he purchase those parts (might not be of interest for me as I am located in France, but who knows..)

Thanks. Pierre.

Hardware store is the cheapest place to get the blubs. Xerox does not sell just the bulbs you have to by the whole drum thermal pre heater

Hello

Thanks for the answer. I did some more searching and found this which might be useful:

This a set of 2 bulbs with instructions... nice. Being new here, I am not sure this is allowed to post such a commercial link... But it seems that apparently those bulbs are 120 volts even here in Europe, (according to a post in some other forums), so they are nowhere to be found. I am crossing fingers because I didn't open the preheater and ordered the bulbs from the US. I'll let people know what's the result when I get the products.

Pierre.

Could anyone give me directions on how to replace the bulbs. I have some of the printer taking apart, but now I'm stuck

Thanks

ama299

Hello

Thks Reinhard for your answer.
As I said in my previous post, I ordered the bulb sets from Ink Technologies, and received them 4 days later UPS Worlwide (not bad, a week-end in between). Instructions are provided, both a copy of the pertinent Xerox manual page and another memento.
Problem for us european users is finding 120V bulbs... so this is a pretty good solution.
Everything worked great, printer is back on, I'm happy and relieved.
Pierre.

I had the same bulb problem here in the UK and found it quite tricky to get hold of some bulbs for my Phaser 860 (linear halogen, 110/120V, 150W, 116mm long). Eventually I got exactly the right kind from a theatre light supply company, where they had a good range of bulbs for use in stage lamps. I bought a pack of ten bulbs for about £50 (UK sterling), which should keep me going for a while. The company was AC Lighting and they are based in High Wycombe, in the UK. By the way, this is a great forum and the help given by technical folk is very much appreciated by novices like myself! If anyone wants a phone number and map to AC lighting, let me know!

Tallis, could you post contact details for them to the Forum please. I can't see an easy way to ask you directly.

Cheers, Peter

If you live in the US, you can get the bulbs at any Lowes or Home Depot for about 5.00 each. They are called Halogen Bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back