Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phaser 6200/Minolta 3100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2003
US
Had the image unit missing error. Once I found our that this QMS 3100 is actually a Tektronix 6200. Missing unit caused by slipped gear.

Now I have an issue with no color, jsut black. The color test prints come out with only the black protions. Everything seems ok, all drums inside image unit are turning, tried 3 different image units. I am thinking that this might be an issue like the Phaser 780, where the wiper clutch in the fuser tray is broke, but I dont see anything like that here.

Thanks

If you have tried different imaging units then the only thing left would be the indiviual toner dispense assys. I have seen these fail and cause a color to be missing, but not 3 of the 4. There are indiviual motors for each, pull each off and see if toner accumulation around each one is causing them to bind. If you can run diags you can run each and see if they turn.

Are sure you're not in the "run black" feature of the printer?

I thought I knew how to get to diags, but I dont. Could you tell me how, it does not appear that the toner motors are operational except the black one. all the connectors are tight for motor control, so i dont think its wiring.

Thanks,

walter

On the Minolta 3100 to get into diags you need the Hanabi Service Commander. The printer uses the MINOLTA-QMS magicolor 3100 Diagnostics (Hanabi Service Commander) to set/
execute diagnostic functions.

Reference: The diagnostic tools needed are as follows:
• DIAG PWB (board)
• magicolor 3100 Diagnostics (Hanabi Service Commander) CD
• RS-232C cable (D-Sub 9 pins)
• Personal Computer

From the top of my head, press the back and info buttons during power on. This should bring you into diagnostics.

Try printing some color test pages from within diagnostics, to rule out any problems with your IP Board. There might also be a dip switch on the print engine board to allow test prints without the IP Board connected.

If the machine still won't print any color, you might have a problem. I can remember some service flashes going around Xerox from tech's complaining about this problem. Some machines were shipped back to Xerox, but found not to have any problems when arrived. If I remember correctly, running the toner dispense motor a LOAD of times would sometimes bring back the missing color.

This is not a similar problem as you are describing about the phaser 780. This is a 4 pass laser printer, using the accumulator belt to accumulate all the colors. If the belt cleaner gets stuck, it wipes off all the colors from the belt, except for the last one.. because this nearly goes straight from the belt on paper. The 6200 is a single pass color printer. There are 4 drums in the imaging unit, these are images on simultanously. The image is then transferred onto the intermediate transfer drums, and then onto the final drum. So there are no wiper blades that could cause this problem. You also said that you already tried some other imaging units, so that's not going to be your problem.

I'll ask around for you about these service flashes for you, i'll let you know if I here anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back