Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phantom Restart...winme

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddies

Technical User
Nov 27, 2000
GB
Recently a friend, re-istalled winme clean, and added some more mem, the last few days, he reports that while surfing the computer does a re-start by itself. I can't get round to see the machine for a while, I just wondered if anyone has any ideas on this.

amd K6 500
FIC Pag 2130 mobo
onboard graphics/sound
128 meg

This behavior can occur if both of the following conditions are true:

Norton Personal Firewall is installed on your computer.

You connect to the Internet by using a Dial-Up Networking modem connection.

To resolve this issue, disable Norton Personal Firewall. Please refer to the program documentation or browse to the following Symantec Corporation Web site for more information:

Thanx, but Norton PF is not installed using sygate PF. will check sygate site to see if they have any info

thanx again

noddies

Sounds like hardware, especially if you just added memory. Try reseating or pull it and see if error goes away. When I added some, pressure on board when inserting stick loosened some adjacent components..maybe check out again. smitee

I had this problem and it plagued me to no end. The above note was right. Check your hardware first. I started by pulling memory DIMMS, taking PCI adapters out where possible and even swapping out the hard-drive. The latter worked meaning that my motherboard and other h-ware was fine and it was a software issue.

Next I used the selective startup option in the msconfig (click RUN and type msconfig in the input box. The selective startup tab is over to the right) to prevent the startup of non-essential files that may be interfering with the OS. Simply take the check-box off of those programs you figure aren't important to keep your OS running. i.e anti-virus, IM's etc..

You may have to check your power too as tiny brown-outs and spikes may trigger restarts. I ran an extension cord to my other room and plugged it in the outlet where my 2nd computer runs all night. The aim was to check to see if the sick computer would continue to restart. It did.

Next I tried to reformat and reinstall the OS - but the computer kept rebooting when I did that!

Ultimately I had to reformat the drive and reinstalled the OS on my second computer. I then took the drive out of it and put it into the computer that I was having the problem. This is a royal pain as you have to reconfig the different drivers etc..However - It has worked ever since!

To this day I have NO IDEA what was the problem. As an added precaution I installed a UPS to filter bad power.

Inflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back