Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phantom Mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobyduck

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
GB
We are running Exchange 2000 with Outlook 2000 as mail clients. One of my users is showing 11 unread mails in the folder list, but nothing in the inbox.

I can mark all mails as read and it goes away, but is this something I should worry about ??

Check if the user has rules that are moving incoming emails to subfolders. Expand all of the folders to see if you can see them.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Check the View settings within Outlook to double check you are not inadvertantly filtering unread emails (View - Current View).

Hi again..

I've checked for rules, views and subfolders, but the issue persists.

Also, the exchange mailbox is also showing 11 items (160K) although the Outlook is showing all folders empty.

I'm not particularly disturbed by all this, just wondered if anyone had come across it before.

Regards

It sounds to me as if your user is looking at the inbox on their personal folder. Make sure they are looking at thier exchange account on the server.

Check in tools---services for an exchange account.

Hi Donkey1 (I won't ask....)

That was my though too, but there aren't any personal folders set up for this user. Basically, all the intercepted spam mail is sent to this mail box, and a dedicated individual scans for genuine mails, forwards them if neccessary, then deletes everything in the inbox. The account is therefore effectively a service account with no frills.

Thanks for the thought though.

Regards

ok, sorry I couldn't help but I have been caught out by the personal folders thing before and that sounded like a classic case.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back