Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phantom Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

retiredtelco

Technical User
Jul 27, 2008
US
Partner ACS 308, with PCMCIA VM large, 206 module, two slot carrier. Dial tone served by Comcast. Three lines.

My client is getting phantom incoming line calls. I have watched the calls come in, in the display it will not display the Caller ID info. I do get a message that says Voice Messaging System. It will sometimes come to the system and their are numerous VM messages at extensions 10, 11, 12. All dead air. Sometimes the line on the Partner is solid red, dead air.

I thought no brainer, defective Processor, changed it, no different, I removed the VM module, Phantom calls still come in sans VM messages. Got Comcast to change their voice black box, no different. I just today removed the 206 from the two slot carrier (not needed).

I'm at a loss.

Is Comcast sending a positive disconnect if the calling party hangs up prematurely? Can the trouble be duplicated with an SLT :eh:

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

That is a very good question. I can contact Comcast. What is an SLT :eh:?

SLT = Single Line Telephone

Does the automated attendant answer the incoming calls? Theory would be incoming call, callers doesn't want to deal with the AA and hangs up. Cable company does not send a positive disconnect signal, so AA plays to the end, expecting the caller to dial something, but the caller isn't there anymore. AA times out and transfers to Ext. 10, with display indicating VMS. Put the VMS cover delay to 2 rings, so at least it captures the incoming caller ID, and set for Caller ID logging on Ext. 10, then you can perhaps discover the source of the incoming call.

I have seen this with IP Office, but not with Partner systems. It happened because Comcast had voicemail on the lines and was sending a vm signal when a new message was left. This was strong enough to ring the system, no caller id shown, same symptoms as you are having. I would make sure Comcast takes voicemail off all lines. They may say they have done that, but make them verify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back