Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunil5

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2003
GB
Hey all,

I have a laptop that has the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen error message coming up (WinXP Home). It doesn't let me get as far selecting the boot options(i.e. F8, safe mode, etc), it's in a continous loop of restarting.

I understand that it could have been a corrupted driver that caused this. But, i have re-formatted the boot partition and the message still appears.

Is is a RAM chip fault?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Try some of the tips in these links.

It looks like u have a dodgy DIMM but check through the steps and try testing the memory as in the final post there.
let me know how u get on.

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Thanks for the response. I think it is the memory module too.

Ive been to and as the laptop has no floppy drive, i tried using the CD ROM ISO but for some reason i can't get it to boot from CD (BIOS options are correct).

Any help on how to burn ISO images using Nero 5.5? I have done it before with Linux ISO and all worked fine.

Probably an advanced option, I havent used Nero for ISO burning and dont have it in front of me here.
Do u have any spare memory knosking around that u can replace just for a while?

It's a laptop- been having trouble getting hold of a mem module just to check it.

I'd say ur going to have to replace the module anyway, it may be worth getting a module in and save urself of messing with CDROM drives and burning stuff etc.
Did u try some of the other things in the google posts.

Yeah the other posts refer to NT4 and service packs; i have all the latest SP installed.

Like i mentioned in original post, even formatting the laptop didn't work. This leads me to believe it must be hardware fault (more than likely RAM i guess).

I ve tried things like check disk, etc, too

Ah yeah,
Its defo the memory.
Let me know how u get on.

Yeah will do- thanks again for the advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back