Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PEStartPrintJob : Error detected by database DLL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prgmrgirl

Programmer
Feb 12, 2004
US
Hey Guys,

I am completely perplexed here with this problem and I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Most likely its because I don't know anything about the software, so all help is greatly appreciated.

We had Seagate running on a server and now we need to move it to another server. This is all well and good. The following change was made:

*the reports themselves are on a separate server along with the database

Everything has been moved to its rightful place. I changed the location to the point to the new location. I run the report from Report Designer - success! it runs fine.

I try to schedule said report and I get the error: "PEStartPrintJob : Error detected by database DLL."

Nothing I have tried has resolved this. We have checked all the security and it is accessing the database fine, etc. When I test the database connection, it works fine. It pulls back all the rows its supposed to etc. The only time I get the error is when I attempt to schedule it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? We have some other reports running off the new server that schedule just fine. The only difference I can tell is that those reports are on the same server that Seagate is running on. Is that a requirement? Is it at all possible to run reports that are located elsewhere?

Thanks for all your help!
prgmrgirl

Do you have the database client installed on the new report server? Can you log in to the database from that server using another tool besides Crystal/Seagate Info? It sounds to me like the report server doesn't know how to access the database. Since the actual processing of the reports happens on the report server, it needs to be able to connect to the database correctly.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

There are a couple of things I would try.
1) Make sure the DSN referenced in the report exists on the report (APS) server and if it is a MSSQL DSN, that you can successfully connect to the SQL server.
2) Try refreshing the report in the Info Desktop environment.
3) If the database is Oracle, the DSN may be CASE Sensitive.
4) Start looking for a supported replacement for this product. It is at least six years out of support and was always cranky at its best.

Hi prgmrgirl,
This is one of the most encountered error msg when scheduling a report. I have similar set up and get this error quite often.
First thing I check is set Location Properties. Open report in designer --> Database manu --> set Location --> check server Type/ Server Name/ DB/ User ID.
Second, verify databse.
Third, refresh your report properties on Info Desktop.
If nothing helps search for si_db_connectivity.pdf file in google and it has details of DB related errors.

Hi prgmrgirl,
This is one of the most encountered error msg when scheduling a report. I have similar set up and get this error quite often.
First thing I check is set Location Properties. Open report in designer --> Database menu --> set Location --> check server Type/ Server Name/ DB/ User ID.
Second, verify databse.
Third, refresh your report properties on Info Desktop.
If nothing helps search for si_db_connectivity.pdf file in google and it has details of DB related errors.

Hey there

The last time I had this, I tracked it down to application levels.
Had pretty much the same problems as you but found that the MSjet and MDAC needed updating, so installed the latest versions.
After doing this the reports that were failing with this error message worked fine.
Can be more specific if you need me to be..

Cheers

Steve - Network Coordinating in the UK

Hey guys,

First off, thanks for all the replies!

I have verified the database and location. It verifies fine and if I run the report from designer, no worries.

It's only when I attempt to schedule it that I get the error.

Can someone point me to an FAQ that describes what happens when a scheduled report runs? (I know next to nothing about Seagate.)

Thanks!

Are you opening the report in designer from your workstation or directly on the server? If you're not on the server, you need to try it from there to verify that the server has access to the database. This does NOT mean using InfoDesktop from your workstation to open the report from the server. You must run InfoDesktop ON THE SERVER and open the report in designer.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back