Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PESelectPrinter CRPE32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchen

Technical User
Aug 24, 2004
GB
I have created a dll using VB6, which is being called by CR8.5. The dll will work as expected and change the printer depending upon the users username. However when this dll is applied to a report, which uses parameters, the parameters are requested numerous times and the report would print numerous copies.

Is there are any way that I can apply the dll (does it matter where the dll is referred to in crystal reports i.e. in the details section or page header) so the user is only prompted once to enter any parameters and the report will only print 1 copy?

Dear munchen,

The ufl is executing for each record that is being returned. Can the parameters be automatically populated? What parameters are being prompted for?

For example, if one of the parameters is UserName then you could (if using most sql databases} write a SQLExpression that returns the username and stuff that as one of the parameters.

regards,
ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

You will get answers more quickly if you read this before posting: faq149-3762

Rosemary

Are you sure about the ufl is executing for each record that is being returned?

As there is currently only 1 record being returned and as I said the report works perfectly when there are no parameters on the report but the moment I add one or more parameters then it keeps prompting the user to enter parameters over and over again and prints numerous printouts.

Dear Munchen,

Are the parameters for the ufl or are the parameters Crystal Parameters?

My information, and I could certainly be wrong, was that a ufl executes for each record ... this was from some testing I did with a vendor who was having performance issues with a ufl. As I said, my information could be incorrect.

And, how is the report designed.

regards,
ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary-at-microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Rosemary

The parameters are crystal parameters.

The report is very, very basic with just one table used and say a table called Clients and the parameter just prompts the user to enter a specific clientid.

Then it keeps prompting the user over and over to enter a clientid and it prints out numerous printouts.

With the parameter removed the report only print out once as expected.

Dear Munchen,

Hmmm, well I did a pretty thorough search and can find no reference to this behavior.

I don't write dll's so I am stumped. Have you posted this in the Integrate or Data Access (I am not sure which one it belongs in) forum?

Good Luck.

regards,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back