Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive v9x question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
One of the thing I have always disliked about Pervasive SQL versus MS SQL is that each table is also a file. Therefore, is no one is actively using the file from pervasive or an application using the pervasive engine, all I need to do is open windows explorer, right click, send to, removeable USB storage device ad viola! I walkout with your customer list or other proprietary info.

In MS SQL this is not possible as there is only one file - the .mdb file - and it is always kept busy by SQL Server.

So my question is, has Pervasive v9x addressed this shortcoming?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Not directly. There is no monolithic database file for Pervasive (and I doubt there ever will be). That being said, PSQL 8.5 and later have new security features. You can, by enabling database security and changing the authentication mode from "Classic" to "Database", eliminate the rights of the user to the data files and DDFs.
Your app may need to change to support the new security model though.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Mirthiel,

Thanks for the great answer, as usual.

On the App I am talking about (Macola) this is indeed the problem. When a user posts an invoice for example, they are deleteing records from an open orders table. If they add a new item or customer, they write records to a Macola table. So by definition they must have read, write, delete rights to the files. Essentially they need full rights to these files.

Is there a way to grant these rights when working through the App, but deny them the ability to get to these files through windows explorer? I somehow doubt it but would love to hear your ideas on this.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

The only way to remove rights through explorer is to use the new security model. The default behavior uses the OS for authentication so the user has to have the appropriate rights.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back