Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive SQL V 8 compatibility with MS SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacbmac

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2006
US
Hello. We built a database in Microsoft SQL 2000 for a customer. Instead of installing MS SQL, they installed Pervasive SQL version 8 on their server. I have never used Pervasive SQL and just wondering if anyone can tell me if an MS SQL 2000 db will restore into Pervasive SQL V 8?

Thanks!

Brian

Probably not. You'll probably need to script out the tables and create them, then move over any data.

Why not have them get MSDE if they don't want to purchase SQL Server?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

It is likely that many of your stored procs or SQl queries fromthe interface won't work correctly either even if you create the tables in Pervasive as every SQL database has a different flavor of SQL. What you need to do here is based on what your contract says. If it specifies which daa be will used, you need to charge the customer for any work based on their mistake of buying the wrng database. If it doesn't say, then you may be stuck fixing their error, I would ask a lawyer before I considered doing anything for free on this job. Changing databases is not generally an easy or quick task and it will cost you a lot of money if you do not charge for the work. Once they know how much you will charge to fix their error, they will be more likely to invest in the correct db.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back