Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

thapco4

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2015
US
We have a 3rd party app that "supposedly" can use ODBC to access Peachtree/Sage database info. Both Sage and the 3rd party vendor say the problem lies with the other party. I think I have found the problem, but I don't know anything really about Pervasive.

The error we get is [Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]Syntax Error: SELECT * FROM \\tha<<???>>-ts01\SAGE\PEACHTREE\company...

I think the problem may be that for some reason the "-" in the server path is throwing the error, but I can't get anyone to confirm this. Does anyone here know if this is the problem? The ODBC System DSN "test" fine and during the setup of the connection in the 3rd party program everything reads the database correctly. The problem just arises when the program queries Sage/Peachtree after the setup.

I have been chasing this error for 2 years and getting no where. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just as reference, it appears the 3rd party app doesn't appear to have anyone on staff that we can talk to. They are apparently "too big" to care about one customer and we are kind of locked into them as the only people that support this type of connection to Sage/Peachtree.

I've never seen a path in the FROM clause with Pervasive. That itself might be a problem.
I have a few questions:
- Do you have any other tools that you can use to test the query like ODBC Test or even Excel / MS Query?
- Have you tried any other tools? Do they work?
- What is the version of the Pervasive ODBC driver?
- What is the actual DSN name?

When I tried to use a UNC path like in your example, I get an error on the file name but my server name doesn't have a dash in it. In fact, the documentation for SELECT on Pervasive's site doesn't even list a path as an option.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

ODBC Test says it works.
I can access the tables in Excel or Access.
I don't know the version of the Pervasive driver.
The actual DSN name is PeachTreeData

I think I saw somewhere, an example that had the path in quotes...

The version can be seen in the Drivers tab of the ODBC Administrator. You can also look at the version property of the W3ODBCCI.DLL or W3ODBCEI.DLL.
Everything I've tried with a path (single quote, double quote, no quote) has returned a syntax error. I don't believe the driver supports paths in the table name. At least, not the way the application is specifying it.

Did you test ODBC Test, Excel, and Access to the PeachTreeData Datasource? Were you able to access tables and get data? If so, Pervasive is working and the problem appears to be in the 3rd party application.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

thanks for the help.
maybe with this info I can get them to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back