Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive & Crystal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcentore

Programmer
Apr 23, 2002
US
I'm using Pervasive SQL 2000i as the back end for a 3rd party leasing program. I've been writing crystal reports to replace some old reports written against the transactional engine. The problem were having is when querying some large tables, (7 million rows) Crystal hangs. Normally I would kill the SQL process in Pervasive from the monitor and that would "wake up" crystal and give me a disconnect error. However, sometimes this method does not work. When I try and stop the relational service on the server (win2k) It refuses to stop and in the task manager I can see that NTDBSMGR.exe is running wild using up about 50% of the processor. Any thoughts? I know I have to step carefully around these giant tables, but I don't think we should have to reboot the server to solve the problem. thx.

My first guess would be that there is some index corruption in your database causing CR to loop. You can quickly check this by writing a small utility to single step down the same index path as CR. Display something like:

On Record No: ***,*** of ***,*** Records. Key: *****

on the screen so you can see what's happening. If this confirms the problem, an index/db rebuild should take care of it. If not...?

Sounds to me like Crystal isn't hanging at all - more like it's waiting for the recordset to be returned. This would be even more likely if you're using an ODBC connections, as Crystal passes SQL commands to the server when possible. If you're doing an ALT+CTRL+DEL on the workstation, and seeing 'Not Responding' that DOES NOT MEAN an application has neccessarily locked up. It merely means that the application has not had a response within a given timeframe. That will quite often be true with Crystal and ODBC as Crystal passes the database query off to ODBC, then waits for ODBC to return the result set. With large tables (or poorly written queries) this can take some considerable time, so Windows thinks Crystal is 'not responding'. You should be able to use any of the standard Pervasive tools (Monitor) when this happens to se if the ODBC connection is still reading records.

Hello CrystalReporting,

Your description sounds like a problem I've been having when referencing a history table. Crystal will show retrieving record 1 of 1+ and then sit there with an hour glass cursor for 10 to 20 minutes. I haven't used the monitor you mention above, how do I find it to try and track down the scenario you describe? Thanks!

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

The Pervasive monitor is a standard utility that should be in your Pervasive programs folder. The executable is called W3MONV75.EXE. You'll need to connect to your server, but once you do, you can see file activity by user, or by file.

Peter Shirley

Thanks for the helpful information and enjoy your star.

Have a great day!

j2consulting@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back