Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive 8.70.014 ODBC with SSRS 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdjsm1th

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
I am trying to convert a SQL command from a Crystal XI report to a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services (SSRS) dataset. I am using the Pervasive ODBC client interface with the Crystal XI report and the SSRS dataset.

The Crystal XI SQL command successfully uses several parameters, but I can't get any parameters to work within an SSRS dataset. I am getting an error "The data extension ODBC does not support named parameters. Use unnamed parameters instead."

For example, the following Crystal XI command works fine:

Code:
 Select * from slbudget where locationid = {?Location}

In SSRS, the following statement does not work:

Code:
 Select * from slbudget where locationid = @Location

I get the following error message when running the above statement in SSRS: "Could not generate a list of fields for the query. Check the query syntax, of click Refresh Fields on the query toolbar." Additional Information: ERROR [42000][Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][LNA][Pervasive][ODBC Engine Interface]Syntax Error: select * from slbudget where locationid = @<<???>>Location (W3ODBCI.DLL)

Is it possible to use parameters within a SSRS dataset that uses the Pervasive 8.70 ODBC interface?

Parameters in PSQL are marked as "?" so your command would be:
Code:
Select * from slbudget where locationid = ?

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Thanks Mirtheil. I hope you can help me through a couple scenarios.

Scenario #1

Some of the reports I am converting have multiple parameters. For example:

Code:
 select * from slbudget where locationid = ? and YearNo = ? and TypeID = ?

Currently, all three parameters are displayed as "?", so the user won't be able to determine which parameter accepts which run-time variable.

SSRS sees each ? as a parameter (and calls them Parameter1, Parameter2 and Parameter3) so I tried to assign a meaningful name to each parameter as follows:

Parameter1 "Location"
Parameter2 "YearNo"
Parameter3 "TypeID"

Using the above parameter names causes 3 errors:

[rsParameterReference] The Value expression for the query parameter ‘?’ refers to a non-existing report parameter ‘Parameter1’.
[rsParameterReference] The Value expression for the query parameter ‘?’ refers to a non-existing report parameter ‘Parameter2’.
[rsParameterReference] The Value expression for the query parameter ‘?’ refers to a non-existing report parameter ‘Parameter3’.

However, the above three parameters work as long as I don't give them meaningful names, so I might still be able to work around this issue.

Scenario #2

Some of the Crystal XI reports have SQL commands with multiple union statements that reference one parameter value.

For example:

Code:
select sum(Qty) as TotalQty from table1 where date >= ?
union select sum(Qty) as TotalQty from table2 where date >= ?

In the above example the records from two tables would be combined based on a single date parameter (the parameter is named {?Date} in the Crystal XI command). When I execute the above statement in SSRS I get the following error:

"SQL Execution Error. SQLBindParameter has not been called for parameter #2".

Is it possible to use one parameter multiple times within unioned statements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back