Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

personality migration exclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midiean

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2001
US
I am working with personality migration and i have a slight problem. Several systems were setup to utilize a network share for a MyDocuments folder instead of the local drive. While this makes good sense to do, it makes personality migration do unnecessary work. My problem is that there are only a few of these systems around and it isn't documented as to which ones they are. How do i set a conditional exclusion that does not copy the my documents folder if it points to a network share, and how do i set it up to resume that pointer upon restoration of the profile on the new system?

you can use rules in an app object to detect if a user has this setting or not by checking the registry. But I don't think the DNA app has the built in logic to not only detect, but bypass grabbing the data, and then restore the My Documents redirection on a different system.

What you can try, is to create two template files, one that does everything, one that skips the My Documents folder. Be sure that the one that skips the My Documents folder does grab all of the user registry settings. You may need to drill into the template to ensure you have it, even maybe add the registry key that controls this redirection to the custome portion of the template file.

Then create two application objects, both will have a rule to check for the My Documents redicrection setting in the registry. One will make sure it exists, the other will make sure it does NOT exist. You would be able to use a common restoration app object for both types of DNA files.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

I went through the dna file from a migration and it does pull the key needed to set the location to my documents, but it isn't restoring it on the new system.

check the template file used during the restore, make sure in includes user environment settings.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

closest option i can come up with is user account settings, unless i'm missing it. I already had that option selected for migration as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back