Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERSONAL.XLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kettie

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
AU
I have recorded and saved a macro to the Personal Workbook.

My understanding is that whenever I open a new worksheet in Excel, the macros saved in the Personal Workbook are available for use.

However, I can't find it. When I go to the XLSTART folder, I can manually open the personal.xls and then run the macro, but I can't get it to work automatically.

Any ideas?

Hi Kettie,

I would suggest you try the following:

Open Excel afresh and check that your Personal.xls has not been opened by going to Tools Macro Macros and confirm that under "Macros in" there is no reference to Personal.xls.

Now with no Personal.xls open, I suggest you create a new dummy macro "Macro1" with Tools Macro Record New Macro and under "Store Macro In:" select Personal Macro Workbook and click OK. Then press Stop Recording - the square. You should now be able to close Excel and allow Personal.xls to be saved. Excel should save it in its correct location and know where it is in future.

Now restart Excel and see if personal.xls is present with your dummy macro "Macro1" via Tools Macro Macros. If it is then you have a personal.xls and we need to copy your previous macro into it.

I suggest that you use Windows Explorer to rename your original personal.xls to personal1.xls and then open it in Excel, and go into the VB Editor and copy the macro from personal1.xls into personal.xls. If you need help in this area please indicate and we should be able to provide details of how to locate and copy the original macro.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran
Two heads are always better than one!

Does the personal.xls file open when you start XL?
If yes, just push Alt+F8, and choose the personal.xls in the drop down box that states :..macros in.
You will see the available macros and can run what you like.
You can also run macro's automatically, but this will require some VB programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back