Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Personal Network for MS certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNL888

Technical User
Aug 20, 2012
GB
Hi All,

Just joined the forum and would like to first and foremost say hello :).

my scenario is this:
I would like to increase my networking ability and AD skills in a "business" environment, without the consequences of screwing up :).
I would like to practice configuring DNS, DHCP, IPv4/6 and AD.
I have Virtual PC installed with Windows server 2008 running and also XP on another VM. I am going to start practising networking with AD etc but I wanted to know if anybody had any tips for me on how best to go about setting this up and configuring it in order to ensure all is working correctly? and also some info on further progression. Any links, books, advice, step-by-step guides, best practices anything would be extremely helpful.

I have the following book as a guide line - 6421A:Configuring and troubleshooting a windows server 2008 network infrastructure. This is to help me set things up but my install are all blank and fresh.

MY GOAL: is to be able to set-up networks from scratch without the aid of books, I intended to do it once and then again and again until I cant forget it :).

Thank you for listening :)

You don't want our recommendations. You'll learn more by trying things and finding out what doesn't work. If you follow most of the wizards, and think about each answer, you'll do ok. Just remember that the event logs are your friend. And there are plenty of dedicated forums here to help out.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Cheers for the advice 58sniper, im actually having a problem now and looking at the Event Log LOL. I cant seem to wrap my head around connecting the fresh server 2008 install to an XP machine. i know i need DNS,DHCP and AD DS installed and the user and PC created but i dont know how to connect them :-(

got any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back