Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

personal hotspot on ipad without cellular data. Possible? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JobaBett

Programmer
Nov 30, 2004
CH
Hi there

I have an ipad air 2 and a apple-TV hooked up to my TV. Without a wifi-router, i'd like to stream a movie to the apple-TV. It works with my iphone, if i use the personal hotspot an have apple-TV set up accordingly.

Now i'd like to do the same with my ipad. But the personal hotspot is missing in the settings - an this is probably because i have an ipad without cellular data an apple thinks in that situation there is no use for a hotspot anyway... stupid!!

Anyway, it'd be nice if i could still get a personal hotspot to work on my ipad. Anybody know how?

Greets Simon

In settings => Cellular => switch on the personal hotspot option.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

JobaBett said:
Now i'd like to do the same with my ipad. But the personal hotspot is missing in the settings - an this is probably because i have an ipad without cellular data an apple thinks in that situation there is no use for a hotspot anyway... stupid!!
Stupid really?

You do understand that Personal Hotspot shares the cellular internet connection of the device right? That is what its meant for.

If Your iPad has no Cellular Internet Connection then there's nothing to share through Personal Hotspot.

There's no point in enabling Personal Hotspot when there's nothing to share. If the iPad is connected to a wifi network then that same wifi network is available to any other device around it just the same including the Apple Tv.

In short, you cannot use Personal Hotspot, with a non Cellular iPad because its pointless, in fact one might even call it stupid.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Phil said:
In short, you cannot use Personal Hotspot, with a non Cellular iPad because its pointless, in fact one might even call it stupid.

This is not quite pointless. Simon gave a use case scenario, albeit one that very few would likely ever need. Apple does not design for the fringe user. Maybe there is a "jailbreak" option. But it seems crazy to bother with it when a $25 wifi router would solve other problems that Simon has not yet even considered.

There are more benefits of a router than just ease of use in this scenario. It is how a network operates most efficiently. Get a router. Be happy.

The Wifi only iPad would only be sharing an existing Wifi connection it has access to.

What would be the point in sharing this Wifi connection if the Apple Tv already has access to it directly?

That is why there is no personal hotspot in an iPad. Because there is no point in sharing a connection you can access directly. i.e its Pointless

If there is no Wifi connection, then what would the iPad share through personal hotspot?

If you need a wifi network as you said: "Get a router".

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Phil said:
If there is no Wifi connection, then what would the iPad share through personal hotspot?

It is technically possible that a jailbreak hack could create a personal wifi connection with one other gadget, such as the appleTV. I tried this a long time ago with an iPod touch. But it was strictly out of curiosity. There's no practical reason to do it.

Simon's intent is not too absurd. There are many technologies being marketed that allow data sharing between gadgets and TVs. Some of these do not employ wifi. But Simon appears to have invested in a wifi option with Airplay.

If someone has the resources to afford 3 overpriced Apple gadgets and the beefy cellular data plan to support running an iphone as a hotspot, I would suspect that they could afford a much cheaper and faster wired internet connection and a $25 wifi router.

Hey all.

Thanks for your posts.

It is true that a wifi-router will solve the problem. But it's kind of sad to waste money on hardware that is not needed and quietly consumes power. Spamjim's remark about apple not designing for the fringe user is probably especially true, also about overpriced apple devices.

Anyway, I got my answer: it's not possible to get a personal hotspot working on an ipad without cellular data, at least not without a huge effort and using a jail break. Thanks alot for that.

See you around, great forum!

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back