Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Personal C*** In the Workplace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVVA

Technical User
Sep 19, 2006
US
Say you have a manager that has no clue what he is doing. He is totally worthless when it comes to any type of technical details. Worse yet, he consistantly lies about project status to customers, ("We are almost done with that project..." when we haven't even started), insists he is right about stupid little things he doesn't have a clue about, ("You're laptop hard drive is 5400RPM", the model number shows it as 4200RPM). Some things are trivial, but other things have bit me in the butt so hard before, it isn't even funny.

On top of that, he is a really likable guy, who is into everybody's personal life, who everybody, except me, loves. He is so into their lives, he neglects work. I just wanna pull my hair out sometimes, or pull somebody else's out. I am fairly new to the tech world, and I find myself so sickened at the bureaucratic, kiss-up antics I just wanna scream. Really, my only prior jobs include construction, and this stuff just didn't go on there. You knew what you were doing, and you did it. If you didn't pull your weight, nobody liked you and you got fired...any ideas on coping with the situation?

This environment is not just in the tech world - it applies to pretty much any office situation in any position. My coping method involves a lot of [cheers]. ;-)

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

People aren't usually "let go" because they can't do the job. They are let go because of personality issues. It looks like your boss is in for the long run.

If you don't like your boss, there is not much you can do but look for another job. I personally am a fan of the 'Personal Carp' in the workplace (although I don't get much of it here) as I think it helps people to know each other (and work together) better.

If you don't like the 'bureaucratic, kiss up antics' (aka being friendly with co-workers), maybe you should work towards becoming a consultant? Although you might find you need to go through some degree of said antics in order to find work.

So the only way to truly rise above the nonsense, is to be the boss. Which unfortunately is a position that requires lots and lots and LOTS of said antics (or remarkably good luck).

So I would buy a lottery ticket (I wouldn't, but maybe you would to handle the good luck part), keep working, and use Jeff's coping method. With a little patience (and luck or antics), you will find yourself in position to start a company full of like-minded people who also don't want to engage their co-workers on a personal level. And the best part is, you won't have to spend any money on the 'Holiday' party! :)

Good Luck,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Alex,

The 'friendliness' only seemed to be a small part of the poster's issue. The main issue seems to be that they have a manager who is a relative of Dilbert's manager.

VVVA,

Don't let it bother you. When someone comes to you and says "Why isn't the project done?" You say "Who gave you the idea it was done?" When someone says "I was told my drive is 5400RPM." You say "Who told you that?" And when the answer comes back "The manager." You say, "Well, you'll have to take it up with him/her, I don't know where they got that information."

-SQLBill

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

rofl.gif
@ 'relative of Dilbert's manager'

Have a star for that, as well as your usual sage advice, SQLBill.

VVVA - is your problem more with the Personal C***, or the boss specifically? Because the latter will be much much easier to escape.

Good luck,

ALex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back