Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Persistable DLL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteph

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi all,
I would like to make a dll that makes an odbc connection. I want this same connection to be used by several stand-alone vb executables on the same machine, so each executable I want to have use not only the activeX dll, but the same process as whichever the first executable that ran was using.

IE, when the first exe runs, it opens a connection. Say an hour later ( the connection timeout allows this), another exe is started (while the first may or may not be still running)--now this second one I don't want another database connection, I want to share the same connection--I'm aware of the issues with transactions, etc, and I can deal with that. I just want to know if this is possible. Is it? Thanks...
steph

That's possible.

Ok, first of all, you cannot achieve such thing using an activeX DLL, because DLL will run in-process, that is, in the same process space as the EXE that invokes it. So it is impossible to access variables/objects in the same DLL that is invoked by another EXE.

You can do it using ActiveX EXE.

The general idea is to create a global connection object in a standard module in an ActiveX EXE, and create a class that will be instantiated by EXE clients. That class will return a reference to the connection object.

I have a sample code that does precisely what you want to achieve, if you like to see the program, I would be glad to mail it to you (it's only a simple code, but it would be too long to paste it here since I will also have to explain a few things about it)

You can also check the CoffeeMonitor sample project in MSDN. The principle is the same.

techniques for doing this sort of thing have been discussed in this forum a number of times in this forum. Code illustrating the idea has also been posted. Here's one of my earliest on the subject: thread222-117529

Alfred,
Thank you very much. I looked at the coffeemonitor, and got a basic mockup ready to test. Yet when I try to open a recordset from one of the executables that reference my activeX.exe, I get the ado error 3001 - 'Argurments are of the wrong type...'

The ActiveX.exe is called BagConn, the Class it provides is called clsConn, and there is a Public Get called 'GlobalConn' that returns the Global ado connection object (which was opened via a modal form that that BagConn calls when my 'OpenBagConnection' method of clsConn is invoked. In the other executable, I have an adodb.connection variable which I set:

dim bc as BagConn.clsConn,rs as ADODB.Recordset
dim newConn as ADODB.Connection
set bc = New BagConn.clsConn
bc.OpenBagConnection 'modal form gets user/pwd, this works fine
Set newConn = bc.GlobalConn
if bc.IsConnected then ' "IsConnected" checks state
rs.Open "Select * from bags",newConn 'I get error here
else
msgbox "no connection" 'I do not see this (good thing)
end if

This code works fine if I replace the newConn with a connection object I set and open locally, but bc.GlobalConn seems to be a problem.

If you could email me a sample, that would be great. I can be reached (for the next week or so, anyway) at
cherihorton@wideopenwest.com

Thanks for all your help,
--steph

Alfred,
Thanks very much for that--I changed the connection string and ran it, and worked--thanks again.

I'm thinking that the reason for my error is that the connection object I'm returning is somehow just returning the connection string, but in a connection object(?), which must be the default property of a connection object, but the data type of the connection variable is still adodb.connection--so if I did:
rs.Open "select ..." ,Cstr(newConn)
This 'worked', in that it opened the recordset, but of course it was a separate connection because the .Open creates a new connection if just given a string instead of connection object. Wrapping the newConn in Cstr() got the string out of it, but not the actual connection. So I'll go with your method. Thanks again,
--steph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back