Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFreese

IS-IT--Management
May 16, 2001
US
how do you grant user permissions so they have access to install there own software on the local machine, keep getting error message "you do not have proper permissions"

They need local administrative privileges on the Windows 2000 machine. You can do this VIA the Computer Management Console.(Right click on MY COMPUTER and scroll to MANAGE. Then go to the LOCAL USERS & GROUPS section and click on USERS. then go to the properties of that user and change there rights to LOCAL ADMINISTRATIVE.

Hope this helps.

when i set the user up on the workstation i set the user as administrator, if i log the user off the network and log on local machine with the same username and password it works fine, but this is the error when they try are connected to the network.

1.) "Failed to update system registry, please use regedit"

2.) "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account."

any ideas??

The machine has been added to the domain right? go to the user properties, click on MEMBER OF and click add. Select the DOMAIN NAME in LOOK IN and add the proper permissions then. BUT don't get rid of local ADMIN rights on the COMPUTER NAME in LOOK IN. Just go to the DOMAIN NAME in LOOK UP. Once that is done the user should be able to log onto the domain with the appropriate permissions as well as have LOCAL ADMIN permissions.

Let me know if that works for you.

i will give that a try, sounds like it might work but you never know with windows 2K.... :)

Do you mean to add the permissions DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR?

I have the only work around is to make the user an administrator on the domain of the server, install the software, then remove the rights. Glenn
"The answer is still 42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back