Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions with XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friedy

Programmer
Sep 13, 2001
US
Hello

I have a problem when I log on to a network and this user is not a user on the local computer? I can log on ok but the user is not getting the permissions they should. Is there a way to grant permissions with out using the server.

Friedy

In a Domain setting, no.

However, if the user is also the local console administrator, or equivalent, they can logon only to the local workstation and there should be no restrictions.

Add that user to the local computer (with domain stated) and give them Administrative priveleges.

-Volkoff007

Hey thanks alot for your help, I think I am not explainning my self in detail. I created a user and gave it admin rights then when I log on as that user to the domain this user can not load or run 3rd party programs. Is this because of permissions on the server, and if so how can I make this right

Friedy

You created a local user, with Admninistrator rights to the local console. You then add this person as a regular user to the Domain. Then logon.

The Domain policy, not the local policy, is in control now. The settings change you want to make have to be made by a Domain Administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back