Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions vs ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptgrudge

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2003
US
If users create a file within a folder that they have Modify access to, they will have ownership of these files. With the user as the owner of the file, they also have permissions to change permissions on any files they create, including hiding stuff from administrators and messing with permissions. Even if they don't have explicit permissions to *change* permissions, they are the owner, so they can do whatever they want to it. (I have users that are K-12 students, so they like to do this sort of thing.)

I can't just take onwership of all the stuff myself, because I need them to stay as owners because of disk quotas.

Is it possible to limit the changing of permissions on files and folders to a user without changing ownership?

if you go to the folder's security permissions, and click the advanced tab, select the user to edit there permissions. Uncheck the permisson that says write attributes, and write extended attributes. This will prevent them from hidding the files, as for changing the permissions, I'll still look arounnd and try to find something.
Hope this helps for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back