Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

permissions query

Status
Not open for further replies.

naifyboy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2004
EU
hi

say i have a parent folder which has full control to administrators and a user called authenticated users.

underneath (within) that folder is another folder which has full controll to administrators and a user.

is there a way to add a new user at the parent folder level who has ful control and then force it to be inherited in all folders below WITHOUT overriting the permissions which already exist?

i have found that if you do this before you create subfolders, the permissions are inherited. however, if you try and do it after folders are created it overwrites what was there before.

thanks

if the child folder has permission inheritance blocked, it wont inherit, logical.

if it isnt blocked, it will inherit from parent.
and this, without cancelling out any explicit permissions you have added to the child folder as welle as those it inherits.

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

hi aftertaf

i understand that and thanks for the response. however, that would mean going into the permissions of all child folders and ensuring that they had inheritnace blocked which is what we are trying to avoid.

or am i misunderstanding?

thanks again.

it is enabled by default.....

unless you actively disable it, it will inherit.

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

If your child folder doesn't have at least the same permissions as the parent then it must already be set not to inherit from the parent, in which case changing something at the parent won't affect the child (unless you tick the reset permissions box in the advanced section.
If you have inheritance turned off on child folders but wish to add a user to the parent and also have this apply to the child folders you're going to have to manually add it to each child folder with inheritance turned off as well.

exactly...

and if you have different permissions on the child then you reenable inheritance, you might want to check the permissions that result on the child folder...

Aftertaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back