Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snw

MIS
Mar 7, 2002
US
I have a vb app that connects to an Oracle database and displays the reports via Crystal 8 Report Viewer. Has been working fine for all logins. Created new domain controller in Win2k and now the app pulls up the required info, but I get an ODBC error if anyone other than the administrator is logged on. After the ODBC error, I also get the then expected server is not opened error. Does anyone know what permissions might create this problem? I tried the install again on the old domain and it works. It was also win2k FYI. Thanks.

System DSN Using Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle. All field populate in my vb form, so I know the connection is there, but as soon as the preview report command is executed, I get the errors. On my initial attempts to write this program, I had received good advice on this forum and use SetLogOnInfo to reiterate my connection string when I am creating my report. However, this report works completely on similar machines in a different domain, so my thoughts were led to security setting or DCom settings either on the rebuilt local machine or the new domain controller. Besides, it works fine logged on as administrator. Frustration is not the word for it!
Hope someone can give me a lead. Thanks.

Here's the solution:
Using Regedt32, Edit the security permissions for the ODBC Connection under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Mine got completely wiped out somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back