Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions problem executing stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRodes

Instructor
May 28, 2003
US
I have two stored procedures (actually several, but it boils down to this). I can execute both of them under my userid without problems.

We're using a specific userid for running reports. With this userid, I can execute one of the procs and not the other, and they both appear to have the same permissions. I checked the permissions for each stored proc for the user, and they both have Effective Permissions of EXECUTE. So, I'm stumped. Why can the user execute one of the stored procs and not the other?

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

Sorry I forgot to put that in. "Login failed for user 'username'".

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

that's not permissions to the SP then.

If both SP's are on the same database and the login used (either SQL or Windows AD) is the same then I would think the SP is trying to link to another server (or execute a shell command on a share to which the user does not have permissions), and failing because permissions aren't set.

If SP's are on different DB's on same instance it may be permissions to the other DB that need fixing.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Looking further, in the log the error state is 8, "password did not match that for the login provided." I'm not able to see where the password would be provided, since I've already logged into the server.

As it turned out, one of the procs had a reference to one server that had the password stored incorrectly. I found it by removing chunks of the proc and attempting to execute the rest using the defective login. Eventually I narrowed it down to a particular server reference, and from there I was able to resolve the problem. Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back