Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions on procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakis

MIS
Jun 5, 2002
CY
There is a local user who's been granted the following database roles:
- public
- db_datareader
- db_datawriter
I need to grant the user permission to create and alter non system stored procedures.

How can I do that?

I've read that you can define the user as db_owner, or db_ddladmin.
But if I don't want to do this, is there an alternative?

Some existing procedures have been created by dbo. If this is a problem I can change their owner to the particular user (he was the one requested to create them anyway)

I'd appreciate your reply.
Thank you

Nakis,

Found this on Microsoft's website:

Microsoft said:
Permissions
CREATE PROCEDURE permissions default to members of the sysadmin fixed server role, and the db_owner and db_ddladmin fixed database roles. Members of the sysadmin fixed server role and the db_owner fixed database role can transfer CREATE PROCEDURE permissions to other users. Permission to execute a stored procedure is given to the procedure owner, who can then set execution permission for other database users.

Unfortunately, I can't find any details on how to Transfer the "Create Procedure" permissions. Only how to grant other users Execute permissions.

Sorry.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

This should do the trick.
Code:
USE DataBase
GO
GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO UserName
GO

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back