Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions on a Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgr430

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I have some web pages with information on it and they are called FACT SHEETS. I can access it over the internet with no problem. I also have them located physically inside a file cabinet.

I have 4 people that answer telephones and help people, kind of like a call center. These people have no computer in front of them, so when they recieve a call they get up and walk over to the filing cabinet and then physically mail these FACT SHEETS. These people are going to be getting computers soon. They do operate over a server thats in another building.

My question is, is there some way I can,
1) Convert the html document into microsoft word, or maybe even a PDF file(s).
2) Can I place a folder or a drive on a server that contains these FACT SHEETS inside.
3) Is there some way that I can give these 4 people permission to view these FACT SHEET documents?

I appreciate any kind of insight you can provide me. THANK YOU!

Terry

1) yes, open the html document within Word and then save it as a Word-formatted document. Adobe has an online converter that you can convert Word documents into Acrobat documents a limited (3?) number of times.
2) yes, easily
3) yes, easily

For 2 & 3 any specifics of how to do it will depend on the server operating system and your network configuration.
-Steve

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate your reply to my question. I don't understand the first part about saving the web page as a word document. I can only view the web pages on the web site. I don't have any access to the server to make changes to the web page.

Do I have to gain access to the HTML web pages and then save it as Word? I understand the part about the Adobe online converter.

Thank you
:-D

When you are looking at the web page, save it to your hard drive as an HTML document. Then, close out of the web page, open up Word, and then use Word to open up the HTML document you just saved to your hard drive. Having access to the HTML page on the server would be more convenient (eliminating the first step I gave you) but not essential.
-Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back