Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaktechnique

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hi,

I've run into a big problem.

We have a SAN here that experienced a power outage. When it was brought back up the shares on the drive were gone. Meaning those drives did not exist in Disk Administrator, just raw space. They were remade by reapplying a drive letter to the raw disk space and the drives came back.

But gradually as users began calling over the next few days it became apparent that the permissions on the shares when screwed up. They look okay when you check the NTFS permissions on the individual files and folders but something is wrong.

A person with Full Control over a folder cannot change permissions. A person with Change rights will only be able to read. The only people with Full Access over any folders are Domain Admins.

There are millions of files in thousands of folders on this SAN, rebuilding permissions by hand would be next to impossible.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

Is it possible to perform a restore of only permissions from a Backup Exec 8.6 backup? I can find any info on the Veritas site or in the app.

I forgot a few things.

This is NT4.0 with SP6a and the SAN is a Dell 650F with one LUN a 630F. These are managed with QLogic.

It appears that all the data is present as noone has complained about missing files or folders and the Veritas BE backups appear the right size.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back