Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions for Import/Export

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpa

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
US
I have a front/back-end database. In the front-end, users can read/write/delete data in most of the tables in the linked back-end.

How do I keep these same users from Importing the back-end tables (structure mainly) into a separate new Access database? Is there a way to set permissions on exporting tables (and other objects)?

If the users have direct access to the backend then the only way is to implement user level security making sure that the backend is also secured. Otherwise anyone with a retail copy of Access and enough brains to open a database can pirate your data structure.

Uncle Jack

What do you mean by "user level security" (in case you have different ideas besides what I'm doing)? I already have the database set so that users have to log into both the front and back ends (and once they get in they can only go specific forms, not the datbase window, etc). But since they can read the tables, they can still import (i.e. read) the tables into their own separate database.

Does this mean if I have read permissions to tables of any Access database, I can view the table structures by importing the tables into a new database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back