Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission Denied Error when running ActiveX EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

enuss

MIS
Mar 16, 2004
US
I am getting a "permission denied" error when I attempt to run an activeX exe project. The program runs when I am logged in as a power user, but when I am logged in as a regular user, the program does not work. My first thought was that some permissions weren't set right on the folders, but we switched the permissions to allow full rights to all users (just for testing sake) and we still cannot run the program through a regular user login. Does anyone know if there is a specific file that could be causing this issue, or if there is something I am missing with running an ActiveX EXE program?

Thanks for the help.

Erich

One more thing to mention...I believe there are some system dll files that are being accessed in the code that might have something to do with the permission issue. The only strange thing is that if I set the project to a standard EXE it will compile and run (Though incorrectly) without a permission issue. Does anyone know why?

Erich

The first thing to do is identify the line of code that's causing the error. This isn't always easy, but of course there are ways to do it. Consider either logging marking data to a file or throwing up message boxes or form messages or the like at likely points of failure.

I had a similar permissions problem recently. I spent hours using various tools to identify all of the resources used by my application. So to try and save you the pain, take a look at the following page. Obviously not all of the components/files will be on your PC as quite a few of them are specific to our application but some of them, the system32 components, will be worth checking out.

I hope it helps.

It may also be worth noting that your issue maybe with the (D)COM permissions that the user/user group context has set against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back