Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission denied after mounting windows share

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
I used the following command to mount a share to /server:

mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator //server/share /server

I get prompted for a password, and the command seems to work fine. But if I cd to the /server share and then do an ls I get permission denied. I'm not very well up on Linux, and I'm totally new to SAMBA. I've granted everyone Full Control NTFS and Share Permissions to this directory (just as a temporary measure) but obviously I don't want to leave that there on a permanent basis. Would really appreicate some pointers on where I'm going wrong

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Sorry, I was a bit silly there !! When I done ls -l I can see that I don't have any permissions to the directory. But I can't use chmod or chown to get the permissions back either, what can I do? I created the folder, so why don't I have permissions to it?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

This sounds like the restriction is at the machine actually hosting the share. Are you sure that you're connected to the remote system as 'administrator' and that administrator has the correct permissions. Check the open sessions on the remote machine to be sure. What are the local permissions on '/server'?

You need to use and additional uid= option like below.

mount -t cifs -o username=administrator,uid=current_user_name //server/share /server

Notice I'm using -t cifs. Can't get a share mounted with smbfs because I don't have it compiled in my current kernel.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

If you have GUI, you can try to see smb://server/share in Konqueror.

It will prompt for a user/password and you are in.
If it doesn't work this way, I think it is a problem in the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back