Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission denied, accessing another system with SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidkewpie

Programmer
Nov 19, 2003
GB
Hi, I'm trying to access services on a remote XP machine (from XP) but i am unable to get authenticated on the system. There are no shares on the system, but the IPC service is running, however it will not accept my username/password for the system:

net use \\ip.add.re.ss\IPC$ PASSWORD /U:ADMIN

but this constantly comes up with error 5, permission denied, unknown username or password. I know that this is 100% correct details.

Is there any other way to gain access to the AT and SC details on this remote system? (There are about 1600 identical *remote* machines out there, all refusing access!) just using SC (or the computer manager interface) just denies me permission, and never provides me with anywhere to give a user ID, so i assume it's required via this IPC service...?

Thanks

Chris

If you are receiving an access denied error you are at least reaching the remote machine. I have always typed the command with this syntax: (Notice the "" marks)

net use \\xxx.xx.xxx.xx\ipc$ /u:"Administrator" "password"

You can use Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Action, and Connect to a remote computer. If your interest is in using the command line you could use Remote Desktop, or the terrific little tool psexec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back