Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perl versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aadam

Technical User
Sep 29, 2006
CA
my isp uses perl v 5.006.001 and the script i'm trying to use needs perl v 5.004.04. will the script run on my server?
i keep getting an internal error message everytime i run the script. i've checked my code and it seems o.k.

Is it a Linux server? If so, chmod the CGI (577 should be good). Also, some servers are picky about having the -w switch on the shebang line and will break if it isn't on there:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

Also, check with your ISP about where they keep their Perl interpreter. Usually it's at /usr/bin/perl but if they keep it somewhere else, the shebang line should point to it.

-------------
Kirsle.net | Kirsle's Programs and Projects

this is the line i have at the start of my script:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -wT
the isp's server is a hybrid that uses unix and win2000.
they the isp seems to think that the tfmail perl version 5.004 is higher than the one they use which is 5.006.001. do u know which version is higher?
they the script of perl say i can run the programme using cgi but i still get an internal error. the isp runs cgi v.1.1 i'll find out what version the tfmail uses.
thanks for replying.
aadam

5.006 is a later (higher) version than 5.004 adam

Seems to me that your error could be a couple of things

1 - a syntax error in your script, run it from the command line to check this

2 - it's producing (printing) invalid HTML which the browser is upset with. Run it locally, store the output of the script in a file and then look at that with a browser

Do either of those give you a way of attacking the problem?

Mike

The options are: fast, cheap and right - pick any two. [orientalbow] & [anakin]

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

hi mike,
how do i run it from the command line? it may be a syntax error but not so sure. all the variables? ..everything that needed to be entered paths: etc were formatted (i'm using TFmail.pl) all i had to do was enter the paths between the quotes. i was using straight html now i've used css for the form. i've run it from crimson editor and all it ever says is internal error if that's what u mean by running it locally.
i have run it from dreamweaver and it tries to open the coded perl file.
its not helpful working with a novice eh?
thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back