Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERL to create formatted paper reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

dainova

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
Hi,
do you think PERL can be used to create printable formatted reports? We just moved from old IMS legacy system and thinking about how to replace old reports having all data in db/ or sorted file.
I mean I need to create headers, alingh all properly, put page #, have total broken by some key, then have Grand totals at the end.

People talking about Crystal repors, but how about Perl?
And yes, there is no option to replace old type paper reports, user still need them.

Best
Trent

Thanks, Chris for great link.

Not sure does this reporter.pm can be find in free edition?

Tx
T

You can download it for free from that page... see the download link in the top right-hand corner.

Annihilannic.

Tx, Annihilannic!

I'm doing all on W' machine for now. Trying to install it.
Bit complicated for me, anybody can point me to the whole piece sample how to do any formatted page. I assume this pm is OOP?
This all info kind of separated, hard to join all together.

Tx
Trent

do you think it possible Reporter on W'?
All failed for me.

I'm sure it's possible, but you probably need a working compilation environment to build the module under Windows.

In any case, the Reporter module is optional... you should still be able to generate your reports using plain old PERL.

It's worth looking at "perlform" in the PERL documentation as a means to control the layout of your reports:

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back