Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl skipping a print call? Sub-nested lexicals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samgardner

Programmer
Sep 11, 2003
US
I'm going through the exercises in Llama, and have come on an odd phenomenon. The code seems to be completely skipping the first print call. However the first function call to &total succeeds (I know because my previous code hadn't set the value of $total to zero at the start of the sub, and it added all the values 1 to 1000 plus whatever the user had entered). Here's my code:

#!perl -w

sub total {
$total = 0;
foreach $_(@_){
$total += $_;
}
$total;
}

print "type a list of numbers on separate lines\n";
chomp(@nums=<STDIN>);
$return = &total(@nums);
print &quot;the returned value is $return&quot;.&quot;\n&quot;;
$return=&total(1..1000);
print &quot;the sum of 1 to 1000 is $return&quot;.&quot;\n&quot;;

The output is like:
type a list of numberson separate lines
the sum of 1 to 1000 is 500500

If I don't set the value of $total to zero, the last line is &quot;the sum of 1 to 1000 is 500519&quot;

1: I don't understand why it's skipping the first print call. Does anyone?

2: I don't know how to properly get the $total variable to be treated as a lexical variable. If I use the my keyword, it will apply to the variable within the foreach loop and thus return undef. I had been under the impression that sub variables were lexical anyway, but that seems to be mistaken.

Appreciate any help/advice;

s

I copied and pasted your code exactly. It would return both print statements for me every time.

Then I add a my $total to the sub routine and it cleared up the cumulative addition in the second print statement. It did not return undef.

sub total {
my $total;
foreach $_(@_){
$total += $_;
}
$total;
}

print &quot;type a list of numbers on separate lines\n&quot;;
chomp(@nums=<STDIN>);
$return = &total(@nums);
print &quot;the returned value is $return&quot;.&quot;\n&quot;;
$return=&total(1..1000);
print &quot;the sum of 1 to 1000 is $return&quot;.&quot;\n&quot;;

Thanks, at least I know I'm not going nuts. . . well, maybe I know that. . .

btw, I've also been having a smaller issue with XP not correctly recognizing the Ctrl-Z as the end-of-input -- it's printing out ^Z. It seems to do this sporadically; sometimes if I press Ctrl-C afterwards it proceeds with the program and sometimes it dumps with SIGINT. This seems more like an XP thing than a Perl thing, but do you know why, or any fix to get this to work? (of course, I COULD read the input for a bare newline and end processing programmatically there. . .)

Thanks again

Sam

Never mind, figured out that XP makes you hit the return key after Ctrl-Z

I have found that ctrl+z has to be on its own line followed by a <cr>.

Example:

Please enter numbers, one to a line: 1 <cr>
2 <cr>
3 <cr>
4 <cr>
5 <cr>
^Z <cr>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back