Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl for my wife...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DumTech

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
I'm attempting to make my small home LAN (Linux server, 2 Mac clients) as friendly for my wife as possible. To that end, I'm thinking the easiest way for her to initiate a ppp connection might be via a cgi script linked from a LAN home page I can set as her default. I have a bash script that'll do what I want, but I'm wondering how feasible this is with perl (before I dive into it...). Will it be a simple matter to run something like 'ifup ppp0' from such a script?

If perl isn't my best choice, what would be better?

Thanks...
Matt

Perl grew out the sys admin world. I think it would do whatever you need competently. Running a system command from Perl is pretty straight forward. However, if you are going to trigger it from a CGI, the command will be run by the web server daemon. Typically, web server daemons are setup with very limited abilities in order to try and prevent people from running command that they shouldn't for security reasons. My RH7 expects me to be root or in the sys-admin group to run any of the network config commands. I certainly can be done as a CGI, it is just a little outside of what the default CGI behavior will support.

HTH

ps - if you have questions about Perl - see the Perl forum - Good Luck

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back