Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl Editors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vovan1415

Programmer
Dec 6, 2001
US
What editors can i use to edit Perl?
What the best editor?

Thanks
Vlad

"best" is difficult to answer...

When I'm working on UNIX I use vi (and I don't want nasty letters from the emacs people, thank you)

When I'm working on WinX I use the Open Perl IDE (see the FAQ's) Mike

"Experience is the comb that Nature gives us, after we are bald."

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

As mikelacey says, for WinX, Perl IDE is pretty good as is the HTML editor 1stPage. Since perl is a text file, you can use your favorite text editor keeping in mind the platform you'll be installing it on.

VI is the only way to go if you're on a UNIX machine. Most of the complaints I hear about using VI are from those who don't want to take the time to learn VI's power. There's always a better way...

Under Unix system I use XEmacs (And I don't want nasty word from Vi people:) ), under Win I use Aditor Pro (It's amazing), Jext (but he get a lot of resources). I recomneted Aditor Pro, if you use Win.

Textpad - I know most of the others will have syntax highlighting, so does this, ...

A case of what you know - see unix statements
:p

I like EditPlus for windows, still looking for a good Unix editor (besides vi).

vi on the Unix side (keep the faith, Mike ;-) )
UltraEdit on the M$ side(with an open command prompt window). $35.00
- syntax coloring for multiple languages
- HTML tidy build-in
- hex editor 'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back