Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perl cgi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaq

Programmer
Feb 17, 2001
US
my perl cgi program is called with a form, It goes out and chks one file size, if the size has changed it does stuff, that parts ok...but if the file size has not changed I want the script to just die...but it always want to come back and open a window...it doesnt care which window just whatever i tell it with the "print "location: XXX.htm"...If i leave that out it opens a window with a "cannot find file" msg. there must be some way to run a script and then not have it come back knocking on the door.
Thanks
Jaq@QB7.com

It's hard to tell without seeing the actual code but you might want to try to put an EXIT command.

if(size == changed)
{
print "Hello !";
}
else
{
exit;
}

No...thanks for trying darkom...but that doesnt work...the script generates a window that says "cant find file"

Can you put the code in your reply so we can see how it is structured !

Well..it appears to be true of any perl cgi program...I have yet to see one that doesnt insist on opening a browser window somewhere along the line. Heres a simplified example..it will open up a window at completion that says the browser cant find the requested window, I just want it to finish its job and die.

#########

read(STDIN, $buffer, $ENV{'CONTENT_LENGTH'});
($strip,$filename) = split(/=/,$buffer);

$sz = -s $filename;
if($sz > 0) {
open (FILE, "$filename");
$nuData=<FILE>;
close (FILE);

open (FILE, &quot;>$filename&quot;); # clear file
close (FILE);

# append new data to storage file
open (DOX,&quot;>>Storage.txt&quot;);
print DOX &quot;$nuData \n&quot;;
close (DOX);
}

exit; # so...how does one end this simple
# script without opening a window?

if your goal is to keep the form page in the browser when the file size has not changed, then may I suggest doing this :

if($sz > 0) {
open (FILE, &quot;$filename&quot;);
$nuData=<FILE>;
close (FILE);

open (FILE, &quot;>$filename&quot;); # clear file
close (FILE);

# append new data to storage file
open (DOX,&quot;>>Storage.txt&quot;);
print DOX &quot;$nuData \n&quot;;
close (DOX);
}

else {
print &quot;history.back()&quot;;
}

That will prevent the File not found message. But if a user submits a form he would expect a return to tell him(or her) the result.

I suggest putting a page with the message &quot;the file has not changed !!!&quot; in the else part.

If the cgi just dies then what will the user see ?
The browser expects a return and will always put an error message if you don't tell it otherwise.

Hope that helps. X-)

That one opens a window that say &quot;this page cannot be displayed...etc....etc&quot;...
My question isnt really about this script in particular. Let me rephrase it. Does a perl cgi script always open a window, no matter the scripts function?....if not ..where kind I find an example of a perl cgi script that performs any simple function without opening a window.
Thanks for your continued input.

In that case try using a standard perl script. (.pl) instead of a cgi. Then you won't have a windows open.

Here is an exemple :

#!/usr/lpp/ssp/perl5/bin/perl

$command_text = &quot;ip_general&quot;;
$command_text = uc($command_text);
print '$command_text\n';
exit;

If you use the line :
use CGI;

then it will probably open a window. I have never seen a CGI used other then for a web page.

Ok...thanks for the info..Ill follow that path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back