Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perl and frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

simanek

Programmer
Jan 19, 2001
US
Hi all,
My new problem of the week involves how to force perl to print to a specific frame. Basically, what I've got is a sort of dynamic form. The first selectbox is in the top frame and when the user submits it, I want perl to process this information and generate a new form below it with another select box with options based on the previous selection. Any ideas as to how to make the submission of the first form use the second frame as the target? Thanks.

Mike Mike
~~~~
simanek@uiuc.edu
"It's a Swingline!"
~~~~

type target="framename" into the form, the same as you would if you were makin a cross frame link. Not sure how cross browser compatable that is but you can give it a go.

If the 'target=' option doesn't work, you could try using Javascript to write the form values from frame1 (where your customers are entering information) into hidden fields in frame2 (where you want the new form to show), then have that same script in frame1 submit the frame2 to call your Perl program. Then Perl will write out the new HTML to frame2.

We have a system with three frames, and using Javascript to write the data between frames for the Perl programs to grab was the solution we ended up using. Hopefully the target= option works for you, though, because it is alot easier!Good luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back