Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl and Aix

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdw238

MIS
Dec 15, 2005
GB
Hello,

I want to build a perl module (File-RsyncP-0.68) on some Aix 5.2, Aix 5.3 servers. I don't have a copy of the IBM c, C++ compiler(s) but do have gcc V4 installed.

Can I compile the perl module safely using gcc, even if the orginal Aix version of perl may have been compiled with IBM native c/C++ compiler?. I have read articles on the web that you need to use the same compiler used to build perl to build perl modules with, is this correct?

I am using standard version of perl shipped with Aix 5.2 and 5.3 (V5.8.2).

Thanks

Brian

Hi

I have always had issues compiling modules with gcc for Perl and Python which were compiled with xlc
Options would be to install a demo Visual Age, Get a Perl package compiled with gcc or compile gcc from source (which is what I had to do - and it saves you trouble next time you install a module)

Good Luck

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always be where you've always been."

Possible third option:

File-Rsync-0.42 looks like a pure perl wrapper for the rsync executable. You can find an rsync RPM on the AIX Toolbox for Linux CD.

- Rod

IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Wish you could view posts with a fixed font? Got Firefox & Greasemonkey? Give yourself the option.

Hello,

Thanks rzs0502, that is good tip I did not think off. However, I am going to solve my problem by building perl with gcc, build rsync package with `gcc` version of perl, create my script that uses the rsync module and package the lot as a mkinstall application. Similar to Oracle, and IBM Tivoli that utilse there own verion of perl.

Also, here is quick explication I sent to IBM that I have discovered why you are forced to use the c compiler that used to build perl when compling perl modules -

As I have already stated I am building my own version of perl , and reason for this is that I do not have access to the IBM C complier, which is required if you want to use IBM 'shipped' perl and any additional modules download from as these must be compiled against the original c compiler that built perl. This effects any flavour of UNIX (Aix, Solaris,HP-UX,etc), so if IBM customers asks about this problem relating to AIX and compling a cpan module(s), you can explain this by pointing out that when perl compiles a perl module, perl sets the 'cc' shell environment variable [used by all c compilers] to value defined in `perl -V |grep cc' field. So you now know a bit more about perl now.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back