Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performing a tape cleaning on a StorageTek L20 Tape Library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rschic

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
I have a StorageTek L20 tape library running with a Seagate Ultrium 06242-xxx using Veritas Net Backup software. I am trying to run a cleaning. When I tried to do the cleaning manually the Storagetek comes back with an error message "media not avail". When I try to run an autoclean, the Veritas software no longer recognizes the cleaning tape. Do you have other suggestions on how to run a manual cleaning or how to kick off an autoclean????

Had a similar problem on a 9710 with DLTs. It helped to do an IPL then to eject the Cleaning Tape and feed it again. Then the tape was correctly recognised as cleaning tape and everything was find.

Johanes

It is vital that the cleaning tape is of the correct type for the LTO in question, otherwise no cleaning will take place. That is a Seagate cleaning tape for a Seagate drive an HP for the HP drive. STK is trying to get a universal tape certified by all vendors, but it is not yet available and may not get to the market.....
Also, make sure that the data cassettes are certified for your LTO drive type:- only Fuji and Maxell are certified for ANY LTO. IBM has not certified HP tapes, Seagate does not make data tapes and certifies only F & M, HP tapes are not certified for either IBM or Sg.....

The universal cleaning tape is now available, make sure that you use an STK supplied label too. The original problem could also have been a correct cassette with a wrong label.........!Only STK labels for Cleaning automatically in STK librarys.......they work best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back